The library had its beginning, in 1912, as a reading room in a home on Main Street. It proved to be so popular, it soon became a circulating library; thus the Scottsville Free Library came into being. By 1916, the collection consisted of 500 volumes. Needing more space the library moved into a room in Windom Hall and at that time was granted a provisional charter. Again, outgrowing the area, in 1919, the library moved to the second floor. In 1935, Windom Hall was given to the library and in 1939, the permanent charter was granted. In 1952, the Scottsville Free Library become the fourth library to join the Monroe County Library System. Today, the library has a total collection of over 35,000 to meet the needs of the very young to senior citizens.
In 1965, the Cox Room was established to house all local history material. The purpose of the room is to collect and preserve information pertaining to local history and to record current information and activities for future historians.
In 1986, the Friends of the Library was organized to help support and promote the library. It continues to play an important role in the operation of the library.
Though the Scottsville Free Library has a rich historical past, it is committed to the present as well as the future for the continued enrichment of our community and our patrons. Internet computers and free Wi-Fi service are available for our patrons.